Last week the boys turned three months old. We had a great photo session with our amazing photographer Liz from Limelight Photography to celebrate. I absolutely LOVE the photos!! My cousin made the adorable TWIN onesies when the boys were born, I have been anxiously awaiting the boys being big enough to wear these adorable outfits. Their three-month old photos seemed like the perfect time!
I am by no means an expert on baby items but I do know the products that have been a true gift for my boys and my sanity. The first 12 weeks of the boy’s life was such a busy time. They did a lot of eating and sleeping and growing, but boy were we busy. At this stage I didn’t feel like they needed toys per say but rather things to hold them and entertain them when I could not (ie when I was showering, pumping, peeing, holding the other baby…. a newborn mothers essential me time moments).
Below are in my opinion the seven baby must haves for newborn to 12 weeks…
1. A bassinet While the boys are now sleeping in their cribs in their room, when they first came home from the hospital and for the first several weeks they slept in our room in bassinets. It made the nighttime feedings SO much easier in the beginning when they were waking up much more often. It was so nice to have them right there so I didn’t have to trek to far for a feeding.
*For the mom of multiples we bought the Graco Pack N Play specifically for twins. What makes this Pack N Play so great for twins is that it has the ability to act as two bassinets! I was struggling with the cost of two stand alone bassinets, knowing we wouldn’t use them very long. This Pack N Play was the perfect solution because we could use it MUCH longer than the bassinet phase.
2. A carrier that you love We could debate just what carrier this is for hours but the bottom line is you need one. Whether you decide to go the wrap route or a more standard carrier route; some type of carrier will be your best friend! It allows you to keep your little one close by feeling loved and secure but gives you free hands to make dinner, fold laundry, go for a walk. The possibilities seemed endless when wearing one of my boys. I found this article to be very beneficial and informative. In the world of baby carriers there are an infinite amount of options and as a first time mom I was overwhelmed. The Sweet Home helped a lot!
*For the mom of multiples the carrier was a life saver when going out. It allowed me to go to Target or the grocery store. One baby one stay in their car seat in the shopping cart and the second baby got to hang out in the carrier.
3. A swing for baby My boys LOVED, LOVED, LOVED their swings. And therefore I loved them too! They were happy to sleep in them and just hangout and watch the mobile above their swing.
*For the mom of multiples this was one item I thought I could survive with only one (and I think I could have) but my family and friends are amazing and bought us TWO swings. And to be honest I quickly discovered that having two swings was awesome. My boys often used them at the same time, side by side.
4. Swaddle blankets Most babies like to be swaddled. My boys loved it! When they were fussy and I was having a hard time getting them to sleep, I would quickly wrap them like a little burrito and within seconds they were calmer and ready to sleep. My favorite blankets to swaddle the boys in are Aden and Anais blankets. I love them for a couple of reasons but mostly because of their size. These blankets are nice and big; giving you ample blanket fabric to tight wrap your little one. As an added bonus they are ridiculously soft and cozy. We have also loved using the SwaddleMe wrap. These are perfect as they take away any difficulty in wrapping the baby. Plus my little Houdini babies could never escape this swaddle like they could a blanket.
5. A playmat Not only is a playmat super practical when your baby is getting in some tummy time but it also provides countless hours of entertainment for your baby. Even when the boys were 6 weeks old they loved laying on their playmat looking at all the toys hanging from it. It wasn’t long before they were interacting with the mat. But trust me, they were happy to just lay there and look!
*For the mom of multiples this is one item that you can survive with ONLY one of. The boys often go under the play mat together. This was a great place for them to interact with each other as well!
6. Books, book, and more books The boys particularly loved their black and white board books in the beginning. They would just stare at the pages as I read the words. As they got older they loved the touch and feel books; particularly the books that made crinkle noises when touching the pages. The teacher in me also knows the importance of early literacy and therefore the boys and I spent lots of time ready books together.
7. Bouncey Seat What I loved most about the bouncey seat is its portability. You could often find the boys in their bouncey seats in a variety of locations. For example on the kitchen table while I was cooking or on the bathroom floor while I was showering. This was also a great spot to feed the boys their bottles.
*For the mom of multiples this is a product I would get more than one of, this was the best way to feed more than one baby at a time!
What do you think Moms? Did I miss any must haves?
A couple of weekends ago I had the honor of showering my sister with lots of love at her baby shower. The day was absolutely perfect. I had so much fun planning this special day for her and I loved our Mommy to bee baby shower theme. There was bumble bee, and black and yellow decor everywhere you looked! Ready to see just how adorable it all looked??
How adorable are those cake pops!!?? Yes those bees are 100% edible, and seriously delicious. The lovely ladies behind Sweet Rush Boutique made us these tasty favors. They were a huge hit and I cannot wait to host my next event and use this bakery again!
If you live in the Tucson area and are hosting a baby shower, I highly recommend Diaper Cakes by Kathy. Kathy was so easy to work with and did a phenomenal job! She made smaller centerpiece diaper cakes for each table, as well as one large three-tiered statement diaper cake. Kathy supplied all the ribbon and adorable decorations for the cakes.
Happy Wordless Wednesday! Sorry for being so wordy today
Here in sunny, HOT, HOT, HOT Arizona I avoid using my oven during the summer. When it is 110* outside I just cannot bring myself to add any more heat to my already toasty house. We are big fans of cooking outside on the grill!
However, I really miss baking. And summertime wouldn’t be summertime without a couple of pies. To compromise during these scorching days, I turn to a lot of no bake desserts.
Today I am sharing with you a delicious No Bake Strawberry Pie. This pie screams summer to me; its light, airy, and filled with sweet summery strawberries.
No Bake Strawberry Pie
1 package (9 rectangles, 18 squares) of chocolate graham crackers
1/3 cup chocolate baking chips
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 6 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 tablespoons strawberry jam
1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
1. Place the chocolate graham crackers in a food processor, and mix until finely ground.
2. Place the chocolate baking chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 60 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds.
3. Add the melted chocolate and oil into the food process and mix until combined.
4. Spray 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray.
5. Gently press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the sprayed pie pan.
6. Place pie crust in freezer for 15 minutes.
7. While pie crust is freezing, wash, hull, and quarter strawberries. Place in medium bowl.
8. Put strawberry jam in microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 15 seconds.
9. Combine jam and strawberries. Mix together.
(Printable Recipe Here)
**A giveaway winner has been selected and contacted**
We love to grill in this house!! While summer is a popular time for backyard BBQ’s and grilling, wee often grill year round. However grilling can be a pain, and clean up can be messy. Today I have a great solution for you messy grillers! Have you heard of the Miracle Grill Mat? It offers a great, non-stick solution, and easily wipes clean after grilling! The Miracle Grill Mat also ensures that meat, fish, and even vegetables will not fall into the grill. How perfect is that?
Made of safe, durable, non-toxic, PFOA-free material. It can be reused hundred and hundred of times and even comes with a FIVE year warranty. How impressive is that?
Looking to get creative with your outdoor cooking? The Miracle Grill Mat transforms your outdoor grill into a flat top cooking surface. Perfect for a wide variety of foods including favorite breakfast items like pancakes and eggs. This would be a great addition for the camping family!(Photo Source)
Do you want a Miracle Grill Mat of your own?? Then today is your lucky day. I have a giveaway for you to enter to win your very own set of 2 grill mats. Details below…
Giveaway closes Friday, August 22nd at midnight AZ time and is open to US Residents only.
1. To enter, head on over to The Miracle Grill Mat website and see all the versatile ways this grill mat can be used. Then come back here and leave me a comment telling me what YOU would grill using the Miracle Grill Mat.
2. Want a bonus entry? Share this giveaway on Twitter, Facebook, or Google+, leave me a comment telling me where you shared the giveaway! While you’re at it, make sure you are following What’s Up with the Wilhelms in those places too!
Disclosure: I was given my own Miracle Grill Mat to use and test for this review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I would not share a product with you if I did not love it myself!
I loved every second of being pregnant and I am very grateful that Matt and I documented my ever-growing bump so well. Once I shared the news with the world, I loved sharing my weekly bumpdates with all of you. But before I started my bumpdates, I made myself a pregnancy calendar shirt.
What is a pregnancy calendar shirt you ask?
I bought myself a long boyfriend tee, and using freezer paper I created a stencil with the numbers 1 – 40 for each week of my pregnancy. After meticulously cutting out the freezer paper, I used white paint to fill in the numbers and was all set to go.
Each week I happily slashed off the prior weeks number with red paint and snapped a picture! Voila! Pregnancy calendar shirt!!
When I bought the shirt, we did not know there were two babies growing in this belly and I was nervous that it wouldn’t fit me until the end. But it did!! My pregnancy calendar shirt may have gotten shorter, and shorter, but it stretched with my growing belly.
I looked forward to the weekly photos in my pregnancy calendar shirt and would suggest any pregnant woman to make one of her own! I look back at the photos often, I even used them in my belly book. I look forward to the day when I can show the boys photos of them growing in my belly.
Did you document your pregnancy with photographs? Would you ever make your own pregnancy calendar shirt?