I am by no means an expert on baby items but I do know the products that have been a true gift for my boys and my sanity. The first 12 weeks of the boy’s life was such a busy time. They did a lot of eating and sleeping and growing, but boy were we busy. At this stage I didn’t feel like they needed toys per say but rather things to hold them and entertain them when I could not (ie when I was showering, pumping, peeing, holding the other baby…. a newborn mothers essential me time moments).
Below are in my opinion the seven baby must haves for newborn to 12 weeks…
1. A bassinet While the boys are now sleeping in their cribs in their room, when they first came home from the hospital and for the first several weeks they slept in our room in bassinets. It made the nighttime feedings SO much easier in the beginning when they were waking up much more often. It was so nice to have them right there so I didn’t have to trek to far for a feeding.
*For the mom of multiples we bought the Graco Pack N Play specifically for twins. What makes this Pack N Play so great for twins is that it has the ability to act as two bassinets! I was struggling with the cost of two stand alone bassinets, knowing we wouldn’t use them very long. This Pack N Play was the perfect solution because we could use it MUCH longer than the bassinet phase.
2. A carrier that you love We could debate just what carrier this is for hours but the bottom line is you need one. Whether you decide to go the wrap route or a more standard carrier route; some type of carrier will be your best friend! It allows you to keep your little one close by feeling loved and secure but gives you free hands to make dinner, fold laundry, go for a walk. The possibilities seemed endless when wearing one of my boys. I found this article to be very beneficial and informative. In the world of baby carriers there are an infinite amount of options and as a first time mom I was overwhelmed. The Sweet Home helped a lot!
*For the mom of multiples the carrier was a life saver when going out. It allowed me to go to Target or the grocery store. One baby one stay in their car seat in the shopping cart and the second baby got to hang out in the carrier.
3. A swing for baby My boys LOVED, LOVED, LOVED their swings. And therefore I loved them too! They were happy to sleep in them and just hangout and watch the mobile above their swing.
*For the mom of multiples this was one item I thought I could survive with only one (and I think I could have) but my family and friends are amazing and bought us TWO swings. And to be honest I quickly discovered that having two swings was awesome. My boys often used them at the same time, side by side.
4. Swaddle blankets Most babies like to be swaddled. My boys loved it! When they were fussy and I was having a hard time getting them to sleep, I would quickly wrap them like a little burrito and within seconds they were calmer and ready to sleep. My favorite blankets to swaddle the boys in are Aden and Anais blankets. I love them for a couple of reasons but mostly because of their size. These blankets are nice and big; giving you ample blanket fabric to tight wrap your little one. As an added bonus they are ridiculously soft and cozy. We have also loved using the SwaddleMe wrap. These are perfect as they take away any difficulty in wrapping the baby. Plus my little Houdini babies could never escape this swaddle like they could a blanket.
5. A playmat Not only is a playmat super practical when your baby is getting in some tummy time but it also provides countless hours of entertainment for your baby. Even when the boys were 6 weeks old they loved laying on their playmat looking at all the toys hanging from it. It wasn’t long before they were interacting with the mat. But trust me, they were happy to just lay there and look!
*For the mom of multiples this is one item that you can survive with ONLY one of. The boys often go under the play mat together. This was a great place for them to interact with each other as well!
6. Books, book, and more books The boys particularly loved their black and white board books in the beginning. They would just stare at the pages as I read the words. As they got older they loved the touch and feel books; particularly the books that made crinkle noises when touching the pages. The teacher in me also knows the importance of early literacy and therefore the boys and I spent lots of time ready books together.
7. Bouncey Seat What I loved most about the bouncey seat is its portability. You could often find the boys in their bouncey seats in a variety of locations. For example on the kitchen table while I was cooking or on the bathroom floor while I was showering. This was also a great spot to feed the boys their bottles.
*For the mom of multiples this is a product I would get more than one of, this was the best way to feed more than one baby at a time!
What do you think Moms? Did I miss any must haves?